Why Buy LVT?
LUXURY VINYL TILE (LVT) VS. OTHER RESILIENT SURFACES INCLUDING VINYL COMPOSITE TILE (VCT) & LAMINATES
LVT continues to be the fastest growing category in flooring – it's popular across a wide variety of commercial segments, from healthcare to retail, from corporate to education and higher education, and even hospitality. This interest has been driven first by styling and the opportunity for new looks, whether it's a look inspired by natural materials, textiles or abstract concepts.
But interest has only grown as designers and facilities managers have discovered LVT's quality, durability, superior performance, low maintenance, lower lifecycle cost, and ease of installation.
Residentially, LVT has enjoyed strong double-digit growth, even throughout these past few economically challenging years. Like the commercial segment, consumers are drawn to LVT for its incredibly realistic designs, ease of maintenance, superior performance characteristics and installation options. Retail salespeople love LVT for these same reasons – it's easy to sell to consumers because it has such tangible benefits.
WHAT MAKES LUXURY VINYL TILE THE SUPERIOR CHOICE FOR RESIDENTIAL & COMMERCIAL
LVT incorporates more design options such as rich and colorful natural earth tones, various wood species, stone or ceramic visuals. It's also easy to maintain and install. LVT utilizes a durable, abrasive resistant wear layer.
Most brands like Powerhold Gallery Series use a UV-cured urethane coating that reduces scratching. Powerhold also incorporates a scratch resistant polymer called "ceramic bead" to help reduce surface scratching even further in both residential and commercial applications. Maintenance is a breeze – simply wash the floor with a neutral based detergent.
On the residential front, there's really nowhere that LVT cannot go. Because it's practically waterproof, it's an excellent choice for laundry rooms, bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. Even in bedrooms, where carpet is the norm, LVT offers good indoor air quality characteristics and won't trap dust or pet dander.
Healthcare facilities including hospitals, doctors' offices, and other clinical areas see the benefits and strengths of LVT. Not only does it provide a warm inviting atmosphere, LVT has that extra wear layer to advert staining and damage from medically used chemicals. These chemicals would be Metaldyne blue, betadine, and most phenolics.
LUXURY VINYL TILE VS. VINYL COMPOSITION TILE (VCT)
VCT is a low cost tile manufactured with only 8% – 12% vinyl content vs. LVT, which is all vinyl content. The primary component of VCT is limestone and clay making the product soft and absorbent.
- VCT must be sealed and then waxed on a regular basis in order to maintain its performance characteristics. LVT, particularly Powerhold LVT, is a true no-wax.
- VCT must be "stripped" and resealed on a regular basis adding more chemicals to our environment.
- LVT, particularly Powerhold Gallery Series LVT, contains no less than 50% post-consumer/post-manufacturing recycling adding to its "green" benefit.
- VCT does not have the chemical resistance of LVT.
- VCT is noisier than LVT.
- VCT does not have the static load or indent resistance of LVT (250 psi vs. 2,000 psi).
- VCT does not have anti-microbial properties such as Powerhold Gallery Series LVT.
- VCT does not have the visual offering of LVT.
- Although VCT may be cheaper in material costs, it costs more to maintain than LVT. By comparison, LVT will pay for itself in reduced maintenance costs within three years after installation.
LUXURY VINYL TILE VS. LAMINATES
Because LVT's composition includes PVC, the product is much more resistant to damages in addition to being water and scratch resistant. Plus, improved embossed techniques give LVT a much more realistic look than laminate.
- Laminates are restrictive in commercial applications.
- Laminates are susceptible to moisture vs. LVT which is primarily vinyl and has a high moisture resistance.
- Laminates are noisy and require an underlayment to help reduce foot traffic noise. LVT is one of the quietest resilient floorings – no underlayment required.
- Laminates are not as scratch resistant as LVT.
POWERHOLD GALLERY SERIES LUXURY VINYL TILE – "THE GREEN STORY"
- Maintenance is only washing with a neutral based detergent and water. No chemicals needed eliminating waste contamination.
- Contains no less than 50% post consumer/post manufacturing recycling helping to reduce the amount of material going to landfills.
- All products are FloorScore certified – emit very low VOC's into the air.
- Can be recycled.